|Laugher lifts the spirits. Just ask Luna, my poodle-tese!|
Why you might want to laugh more
"A merry heart doeth good like medicine, but a broken spirit drieth the bone." Prov. 17:22
How often do you laugh? Really laugh? Deep belly laughing? In case you haven't already heard, laughter can be quite healing. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Non-fattening! You can enjoy it often and not gain a pound. In fact, it may stimulate your metabolism to actually help you lose a few.
- Increases blood circulation and stimulates faster oxygen delivery.
- Aids digestion and elimination. Laugh enough and you won't be so 'full of it'!
- Amplifies respiration; helps body ventilation.
- Activates and exercises internal organs and muscles. (100 laughs = 10 minutes on a rowing machine! I can't prove it, but it's worth the effort.)
- Releases endorphins, a natural painkiller and pleasure enhancer.
- Boosts components of the immune system.
Here's one you'll really like: Laughter connects both hemispheres of the brain and along with orgasm, creates total brain symmetry! Can't ask for better than that, eh?
It's cathartic; and can vanquish emotional and physical tension; releases hostility; helps curb heart trouble; makes you feel good. For you more spiritual types, it helps you to relax and your level of relaxation reflects your level of trust--in God, in Spirit, in the universe, in others, in yourself.
And when you are laughing with--not at--people, they feel less threatened around you, and trust you more.
Finally, happiness is not something that can be sought, that can be found. Happiness is the result of all the choices, actions, and thoughts that spin through your life moment by moment. The more you laugh, the more that little bluebird of happiness lands on your shoulder.
You have been designed for happiness. You have also been given the choice. Find reasons to laugh every day. Opportunities are everywhere. And you'll be the better for it.
"What then, is the right way of living? Life must be lived as play." Plato